Offered in a checklist format, team members indicate their preferences for materials and systems on a particular project, which can then be transmitted to an in-house project architect or specifications writer, or to an independent specifications consultant for incorporation into preliminary or final project specifications. This document can also be shared with owners and other design team members to keep them current on design decisions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:
- The primary use of this questionnaire is to provide a detailed checklist that will facilitate precise development of specifications with drawings, to ensure that all parties are talking about the same type and quality of a building.
- Division 01 is a General Project Description that outlines code requirements and basic building parameters and should be completed by the Project Manager or Project Architect.
- Divisions 02 through 50 are arranged according to the CSI/CSC MasterFormat. These items should be completed by designers or other technical personnel as appropriate. This should be done as early in the design stage as possible.
- During Schematic Design and early Design Development phases, when detailed information is not available, simply give information that is general in nature; this will serve to define the scope of the project and will give sufficient information to begin a preliminary specification.
- When an item or product is specifically selected or the Drawings are detailed around it, identify it by name, type, number, manufacturer, etc. Use additional sheets if required. Whenever possible, include a copy of the catalog page.
- Drawings are quantitative; they should show locations of materials, dimensions, and relationships to other components. Specifications are qualitative; they should set forth detailed requirements for physical qualities, standards of workmanship, and methods of installation.
- Trade names and manufacturer’s names should never appear on drawings; use generic designations only.
- Drawings should not define the scope of the various subcontractors. They may, however, need to include a statement of items to be furnished by the Owner or under a separate contract.
Specs included in this bundle (0)