8.5" x 11"
09 63 40
Get Instant access
This specification is available for purchase in the following bundles:
Use this 3-part SimpleSpecs™ master specification to specify interior natural stone flooring and associated bases.
Stone may be either thin or thickset. A thick setting is used over irregular substrates where the thick setting bed can level the stone. A thick setting is also used where slope must be built into the setting bed.
Special setting materials and methods are included for large and heavy stones.
A waterproof membrane is installed to prevent leaks over occupied spaces.
A crack isolation membrane prevents cracks and joints in the substrate from telescoping through the stone.
Sound isolation membranes are used under-stone where sound transfer to a lower floor must be reduced, such as in hotels.
Tips on stone flooring maintenance:
The lifespan of stone flooring can vary depending on the type of stone, the quality of installation, and the level of foot traffic it receives. However, with proper care, it can last for several decades, if not longer.
- – Regular cleaning: Sweep or vacuum stone floors regularly to remove dirt and debris. Use a damp mop and a pH-neutral cleaner to clean the surface. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads that can damage the surface.
- – Sealing: Apply a sealant to the stone surface to protect it from stains and spills. The frequency of sealing depends on the type of stone, the level of foot traffic, and the type of sealant used.
- – Stain Removal: Clean up spills immediately to avoid staining the stone. Use a soft cloth and a pH-neutral cleaner to clean the surface. For tough stains, use a poultice made of baking soda and water or a specialized stone cleaner.
- – Protection: Use mats or area rugs to protect high-traffic areas.
- – Professional maintenance: Schedule professional maintenance as needed. This may include deep cleaning, polishing, or resealing.
For assistance in selecting and detailing stone flooring to refer to the Handbook for Ceramic, Glass, and Stone Tile Installation by the Tile Council of North America (TCNA), available at www.tileusa.com.
Related SimpleSpecs™ master specifications:
Ceramic, porcelain, glass, and quarry tile finishes are specified in 09 30 00 – Tiling.
Natural stone wall finishes are specified in 09 75 00 – Stone Wall Facings