Use this 3 part SimpleSpecs™ master specification to specify wood window restoration of wood windows, including frame, sash, and hardware. This section relies on other sections for many of the materials and procedures needed for this work, including glass, stained glass, and finishes.
This wood hardware restoration section does not cover the replacement of historic wood windows with new windows of non-historic material and construction.
For additional information on this subject, refer to the following documents:
- Preservation Brief No. 9 – The Repair of Historic Wooden Windows, National Park Service, www.nps.gov.
- Preservation Tech Notes, National Park Service, www.nps.gov:
- Windows No. 4 – Replacement Wooden Frames and Sash.
- Windows No. 6 – Replacement Wooden Sash and Frames with Insulating Glass and Integral Mullions.
- Windows No. 14 – Reinforcing Deteriorated Wooden Windows.
- Windows No. 16 – Repairing and Upgrading Multi-Light Wooden Mill Windows.
Related SimpleSpecs™ master specifications: